What We're Doing
The City of Waupun is one of three communities around the state to be selected for the Healthy Aging in Rural Towns planning grant.
As baby boomers age, communities around the country are starting to look at the issue of aging in place and how community design and service delivery play a role in helping individuals remain independent within their communities over a lifetime.
This project is the result of a collaborative effort between SSM Dean Health and the City of Waupun. The goal of this grant is to help develop a plan that will prepare our community to support the wellbeing of older adults and their caregivers, with the primary goal of helping individuals age in place and maintain some level of independence in a residence of their choosing.
As a result of this collaborative effort, the Waupun Community Coalition on Aging was recently formed. The Coalition is comprised of a diverse set of community stakeholders and the grant award will bring outside experts in to help our community assess needs and formulate a strategy that will lay the foundation for a healthy future.
Contact Our Team
City Administrator & Director of Economic Development
Please contact us with any questions or concerns you may have about this project.
The Waupun Community Coalition on Aging
The Waupun Community Coalition on Aging is collaborating on the Aging in Place project with the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Nursing and the Wisconsin Office of Rural Health.
Coalition members are:
- Kathy Schlieve, City Administrator, Waupun
- Deann Thurmer, COO, Agnesian Healthcare, Waupun Memorial Hospital
- Amy Ewerdt, Aging, Nutrition and Transportation Supervisor, Dodge County Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)
- Tyler Schulz, President, Waupun Area Chamber of Commerce
- Barb Wirkus, Director, Agnesian Healthcare, Christian Home.
- Fawn Senn, Social Worker, Agnesian Healthcare, Christian Home
- Bill Hoekstra, Member of the ADRC of Dodge County
- Rachel Kaminski, Waupun Program Director, Recreation Department, Senior Center
- Bret Jaeger, Library Director, City of Waupun
- Jeremy Rasch, Deputy Chief, Waupun Police Department
- BJ Demaa, Fire Chief, Waupun Fire Department
- Julie Nickel, Mayor of Waupun
The Aging in Place project was made possible through a grant from a private foundation.